Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pancake Mix to Make Beer Bread

I had the urge to make beer bread, really no idea why just wanted to try this from scratch. I found several recipes all calling for self rising flour, which I don't have. I was about to give up when I realized I have a big ol bag of Krusteaz pancake mix, which I thought was more or less a self rising flour, with a few extras.

I used three cups, which was a common amount for most recipes I found and added a full can of beer. The mix seemed a little wetter then it should so I added about 1/4 cup of flour. I also added to it 3 tablespoons of sugar and about 1/2 cup shredded cheese, baked 350 for 60 minutes.

Spoiler alert, the bread was not that yummy but it was a perfect bread. I liked the texture and the freshness of it and a lingering beer taste, but it was lacking flavor. So...that being said I would try this again but would look to add more flavor to the batter, some herbs or garlic. I would also melt butter on top and in fact may add that to the batter.

It was fun to experiment with the pancake mix, and this is a good place to start to make a great bread and it beats the 5-7.00 a box you would pay for a beer bread mix.

***Update, I have now had a piece the next day with a little bit of butter, tastes MUCH better. It would still need some add-ins but at least it was not a total loss.***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the concept was great, right? We've got a bread machine and one time I made beer bread to go with a german meal I was making. It was really good- I used a stout beer.

Martha said...

Looks really yummy I am totally going to try this and use your suggestion of something extra to it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails