Monday, February 27, 2012

My Item Being Made 1: Stitch in Color Coin Purse



This marks the first of what I hope to do regularily, blog posts of items being made, I thought it might be fun to show buyers their items inspiration and in progress pictures.

I will include with the listing a link to the blog post and packed with order an card with their MIBM - "My Item Being Made" link and number so they can find the post afterwards. Kind of fun, I think.

The first is this coin purse from the new Moda line "Stitched in Color" and this collection is bright and big and has a lot in the collection. I got 14 from the collection and have already cut most of it up for quilts, totes and zip pouches. This is the first item that was completed from the collection, and was actually some leftover pieces.


Not wanting to toss any of this amazaing fabric I came up with this pieced coin purse, I used all 14 fabrics and paired it with a white on white vine print. Offset small strips pieced vertically was the idea.



This was the first pieced component I tried, a 3 x 1.5 inch piece (blue and gray) and then 3 inch white on each side, it is too big for what I wanted but it helps to get a visual, as you can always cut more off.



I did this piecing on all 14 colors, then lay out to get an idea of color placement.



Sometimes I am so happy I own so many quilting tools, in this case a 1 x 12 inch clear ruler, I used this to center the blocks.



Block laid out, then trimmed to size



Side one complete, do the same with side 2

From here I just finish as I would any coin purse, all are interlined with fleece and lined in a coordinating fabric, in this case it is all white.



While cutting for the coin I also cut long strips for a large cosmetic. Again I used all 14 fabrics I have from this line, this time simple 2 x 7 inch strips.



Functional and very colorful accessories which will are now in my etsy shop, you can find the coin purse HERE.

The cosmetic pouch is available HERE.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails