Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Meatball Soup


Like most winters I am inspired to make big pots of soup and this winter is the same. I am also trying to find more ways to make dishes with beans as my 5 year old is in here "legume stage". If it looks like a bean she is very willing to eat it, so I am riding this train as long as possible.

Meatballs, you can use any meatball recipe you like, I use this simple one but it can be varied.

Meatballs:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed, then crushed saltines to equal 1 cup - 1 cup breadcrumbs will work too
  • 1 egg
  • onion to taste, I usually use about 1/2 or so of sweet or yellow onions
  • seasonings to taste, salt pepper, garlic, basil, etc
Mix ingredients in medium bowl, shape in 3/4 inch balls, cook in cooking spray in non stick pan, brown on all sides until cooked through 10-12 minutes, set aside or drain as necessary.

Soup
  • 3.5 cups of water
  • 15 ounce can garbonzo beans
  • 14.5 ounce can tomatoes
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 3-4 cubes beef boulion
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 cup pasta, I used bow tie
  • 3 cups fresh torn spinach

In large pan add water, beans tomatoes, mushrooms, bouilion, spiced to boil, add pasta and return to boiling, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until pasta is to desired doneness.

Stir in spinach and meatballs cook for 2-3 minutes more or until spinach is wilted.

I paired it with wedge french fries, my 5 year old ate around the spinach and the mushrooms but ate all meatballs, pasta, beans and most the tomatoes, she even had seconds! Very tasty!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails