Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Industrial Sewing Machine


So new year and a new plan of action. I am going to be purchasing a new sewing machine, and not just a regular home sewing machine, I am going INDUSTRIAL. I am literally so excited I cannot hold a thought in my head. The above picture is the Juki 9000B, below is how this machine is now at the top of my list.

I had pretty much decided when this day came I would get a Juki, I have read lots of information on these in the last 2 years and it seams they are top of the line for what I need. I have spent the last few days combing the internet researching models, features, and pricing.

Along with this purchase I will be switching office space with my husband, I will have a bigger sewing room that will accomodate my new sewing machine, large table for cutting and working, a desk with my computer and an ironing station (also considering an industrial press). This will be a huge task for both me and my husband to switch rooms, but we are both excited about the change and opportunity for us to both be more productive in 2011. My DH will be in a smaller space but it will be all his own, no more me running in and out to use my computer, print and often having my daughter in tow. A smaller space all his own is very appealing to him, he is a great sport, I know if he were barging into my space as often I barge in I would be annoyed.

So onto my decision process for buying a machine, as I know in my searching I would have liked to see even more home business info on this topic.

First, I had to define what I needed, that was easy a better machine. I currently sew on a Viking it is 8-10 years old and is a perfectly fine sewing machine, it has served me well. But I have outgrown this machine and need to be able to produce more, a lot more.

  • SPEED: The first area I need major improvment is SPEED. Full throttle on the Viking I feel like it is standing still. Going from memory my machine would sew about 400 stitches a minute, I am certain it has slowed since getting it, I think it is around 300 stitches per minute.
  • STITCH CONSISTANCY/QUALITY: My machine does ok, but I have learned how to coax it to get the best stitches possible. Using a walking foot, slower speeds and constant management of tension my stitching is just fine. To free my mind of this task and have better stitching at higher speeds is a must to be more productive.
  • FEATURES: I more or less want everything I currently do to be available in the new machine, or close comparison. I made a list of features I know I needed to be able to accomplish with the new machine. Overall these are very basic and include: Quarter inch seem capability, multiple layers, zippers, back stitching, I would also like to be able to use the same threads I currently use including monofiliament. I would like a free arm but this is just not available in industrial models I will adapt this task or keep a back up on hand.
  • Since I am getting new and industrial there are other options I have seen that look very appealing, finding these in a machine would be a huge plus to my current sewing: Lockstitch, auto backstitching, presser foot raising via foot pedal or knee pedal, auto thread cutter.
  • Local sourcing, I really wanted to find a local dealer, and if I could not get local then somewhere I could drive in less then a day. I had figured I might end up in Chicago which is about 5 hours away. Luckily I have found a much more local dealer in the Metro Detroit area. This is great for service, help and replacement parts and components.
  • Things I learned in my research and will continue to learn about before purchasing. Motors, oil, tension, saftey, sound, tables and accessories, usually a industrial machine is one where the motor is seperate, this makes the motor an easy and inexpensive item to replace. Servo motors are much quieter then clutch motors and are usually an upgrade, and around $100.00. Industrial machines come mounted in there own tables, table size is 20 x 48 inches, motor is mounted under table, foot is affixed to the table.
  • Budget, I know this is usually one of the first considerations in making a purchase like this. I am fortunate as I have been planning for this for a while and really am able to get what I need, in my first looks at a new machine I figured it would start in the 700-1000.00 range, I new my wish list and needs would point me ultimately where I need to go, my hopes are that I can keep the sewing machine up to and hopefully under 2,000.00. As this will be my main machine for my business I want new, so that is going to be the path I take.

I have already been in contact with the local dealer, gotten quotes on 3 machines, and Juki literature for the machines, one for sure is out of my price range (Juki 9010) so I am focussing on the Juki 8700 and 9000B models. The 9000B is the newer model of the two and really I think this will will be my new best friend. My husband and I are planning a trip to visit the showroom and get more information on these models within the next two weeks. I hope to place an order within the next 30 days, it will take 3 weeks to arrive and I will get hands on help from my local dealer as well as full assembly of the table, motor and machine.

I will keep you posted, feel free to follow me and see how it goes, any questions post a comment and I will do my best to answer. I know for me in my research it would be nice to find more home sewers/turned business opinions and info.

2 comments:

LSG Industrial & Office Products, Inc. said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful article with us at Industrial Products Clark. Hoping we could offer sewing machines too.

Blogger said...

I get $20 for each 20 minute survey!

Guess what? This is exactly what big companies are paying for. They need to know what their customer needs and wants. So these companies pay $1,000,000's of dollars per month to the average person. In return, the average person, like myself, fills out surveys and gives them their opinion.

Related Posts with Thumbnails