Saturday, September 3, 2011

Tote Bag Re-usable Purse Stuffing Pillow



This is a super easy and inexpensive way to fluff up your totes for displays, weather for craft shows or in a retail setting, I started using these last fall at Yellow Door. I now have about a dozen I use at shows as well, when my purses are on my grid walls I just put them in the leading two bags.

Simple to do with items you probably have already.
  • Scrap fabric, to make the pillow, use a size that is common to your totes, for me I cut 2 pieces of fabric 8" x 9"
  • Muslin
  • Sharpie, or permanent marker to tag pillows - optional
  • Pinking shears or rotary cutter - optional, but it will help in reducing fraying
  • Plastic shopping bags, mine held 4 bags to each pillow
Make tags, I only did this as I use these at Yellow Door, the idea is they are returned to my booth, for my shows I don't bother with this step. Tags were cut 2 x 4 inches, write your message, I spritz with water then iron to set the ink.

Pink the edges to keep from raveling...to much. I also pink the pillow edges, I use a rotary cutter and actually pink to cut out the fabric. This is a great way to use up scraps or not so loved fabrics.

Assemble "pillows" I just do wrong side to wrong side with a 1/4 inch seam, leave one side open. Plastic grocery bags make a freebie stuffing, and can be squshed and fluffed over and over.

When done pin opening closed and finish the seam.
I keep one at home for picture taking to give the bags a little shape, it fits inside nicely and I can snap the clasp shut. If you are not sure of a size, experiment with a dish towel or two to get the right dimensions for your totes.

2 comments:

Mami Made It said...

What a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I just bought purses to sell and have been thinking " ppl at parties are going to want to open the purses, I have been searching for the perfect "stuffing" thank you so much.
-melissa

Related Posts with Thumbnails