Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Finished Quilt UFO 2012: Habitat and The Big Easy

A few weeks ago during sewing for me week I pieced this quilt, I have now gotten it back from the machine quilter and finished binding it this morning. It is a lovely addition to the chair in my bedroom.

I also did two things different for me, I did the binding on the machine, usually I hand bind but while I have been working on the binding for Sherbet Pips (show and tell soon) I have decided to learn to do this last task of quilting on the machine. I also did the binding in a light color, the same bone Kona cotton that is in the quilt. You can see above managing the quilt, anyone who has done any quilting on a home machine, managing bulk is always an issue.

Many say "the quilting makes the quilt", but for me quilting makes me crazy, this is a task I don't enjoy doing and have not take the time to perfect and practice. I enjoy the fabric and the piecing, for me the fun sort of ends there, so most quilts that are bigger then a baby sized I hire out the quilting. I love handing over a top, batting and a back and getting back a quilt. This quilt was about $65.00 to have quilted, for me a real bargain, however I still did do the binding.
The machine quilter mimicked the flowers in the front and did these throughout along with some swoosh-y zig zag stitches in the sashing strips.

This is all from a line called "Habitat" by Michele D'Amore, I am a fan of most of here collections, this is one of her lines that I have worked a quilt. The quilt pattern is called "The Big Easy".

Love it on this chair perfect for time spent sitting and relaxing with some hand stitching.

3 comments:

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa said...

It's a beautiful quilt! Grats on finishing a UFO! I finished one too!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I think your quilt is beautiful. I just saw it featured on Fabric Tuesday!

Karen said...

Hi, I popped over from Fabric Tuesday, your quilt is lovely, i love the fabrics you chose, they suit the pattern perfectly. Great job. :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails