Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Garlic Croutons


In the fun with baguette theme, I thought I would share my super simple recipe to make your own garlic croutons.

Ingredients:
  • Bread or baguette, I used Salted Ciabatta loaf, artisan or crusty loaves work best
  • Butter
  • Garlic
  • Salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, if other cooking you are doing calls for a higher or lower temp, that is fine too.

Cube bread 1/2 - 3/4 inch cubes using a sharp serrated knife.

In skillet use about 1 TBLS per slice of bread you have cut up, melt in pan with garlic, I used about 1 TBLS for 4 slices of bread.

When butter is melted add bread cubes and mix to coat thoroughly, then let the bread and garlic brown up a bit.

Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt or other spices put in preheated oven for 20 minutes, if you are able turn once during baking. Croutons should be crisp.

Additional add ins:
  • Cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella, sprinkle when going into the oven
  • Basil, Parsley - if you are using in cooking or in salad dressing as a nice compliment add to your croutons
  • Rosemary - again depending on the salad or dish, makes a nice compliment to pork
Great for snacking or as a side dish, my 5 year old LOVES these, in fact of this meal of chicken nuggets and grapes they were the first to go!

2 comments:

My Life Under the Bus said...

I could eat Ciabatta morning -noon- night it's just the best bread ever !!! YUM !!!

Kristin Aquariann said...

Funny, I've never thought to eat croutons as a side dish instead of on a side salad! Yours look delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails